Posted on 2018-09-23, by nokia241186.
Sudan: 1885 (Australian Army Campaigns Series, 15) by Michael Tyquin
English | September 7, 2016 | ISBN: 1922132993 | EPUB | 200 pages | 30.9 MB
The involvement of an Australian colonial military force in Britain's Egyptian campaigns between 1883 and 1885 was very short, extending for only five months overall, including the pre-deployment phase. Consequently its influence on those campaigns was insignificant. Nevertheless, our involvement in the Sudan in 1885 is part of Australia's military history. This book provides the context for Australia's involvement in the Sudan, and follows operations chronologically. The call in the 1880s for jihad or 'holy war' by Sudanese leaders shows us that some of our current global challenges are not new.
Sending the contingent has been seen as the first important expression of colonial commitment to the imperial cause in the nineteenth century. In Australia, politicians were alive to their own colonies coming-of-age, and the conflict in the Sudan afforded an opportunity to demonstrate colonial maturity to an imperial audience across the globe. Despite other Australian colonies wanting to make a military contribution, only New South Wales actually deployed any troops. It did so because it had the largest and best organised defence force, and was led by a very opportunist politician.
However one looks at it, Britain's experience in the Sudan in the 1880s comprised political indecision, expensive deployments and military defeats, followed by the withdrawal of Egyptian and imperial forces. British arms would not secure a victory there until 1898.
The deployment to the Sudan represents Australia's first real military engagement aboard. It helped set the precedent for the Australian colonies' role, attitudes and engagement in the second Anglo-Boer War (1899-1902) and the Boxer Rebellion of 1900.
(Buy premium account for maximum speed and resuming ability)
- Ebooks list page : 37199
- 2018-07-30Sudan 1885 (Australian Army Campaigns Series, 15)
- 2014-03-24The Landing At ANZAC - Australian Army Campaigns Series 12
- 2018-02-01[PDF] The Search for Tactical Success in Vietnam: An Analysis of Australian Task Force Combat Operations (Australian Army History Series)
- 2012-01-01Northern Solomons (U.S. Army Campaigns of World War II)
- 2011-12-31Luzon (U.S. Army Campaigns of World War II)
- 2011-12-30Guadalcanal (U.S. Army Campaigns of World War II)
- 2011-12-29Central Pacific: The United States Army Campaigns of World War 2 (U.S. Army Campaigns of World War II)
- 2011-12-29Algeria-French Morocco (U.S. Army Campaigns of World War II)
- 2011-06-21Organizational History of Field Artillery, 1775-2003 (Hardcover) (Army Lineage Series)
- 2018-08-15The Australian Army in World War I
- 2018-07-18Leadership Secrets of the Australian Army
- 2018-07-01Leadership Secrets of the Australian Army Learn from the best and inspire your team for great results
- 2018-06-18Leadership Secrets of the Australian Army
- 2018-06-08Leadership Secrets of the Australian Army
- 2018-06-05Leadership Secrets of the Australian Army
- 2018-01-20[PDF] The Campaign of 1812 (U.S. Army Campaigns of the War of 1812)
- 2017-12-12[PDF] The U.S. Army Campaigns of World War II: Ardennes- Alsace
- 2017-12-10[PDF] Engineering Statics (Australian Natural History Series)
- 2017-12-07[PDF] The Australian Army: A History of Its Organisation 1901-2001 (Australian Army History)
- Download links and password may be in the description section, read description carefully!
- Do a search to find mirrors if no download links or dead links.